What is meant by Pair-wise Testing?
– It is an effective test case generation technique.
– It is based on the fact that faults are caused by interactions of at most two factors.
What is Orthogonal Array Testing Strategy (OATS)?
– It is a black box testing technique.
– It is a systematic, statistical way of software testing.
– It focuses on maximizing error detection.
– It uses pairwise testing for error detection.
– It enables to design test cases that provide maximum test coverage with reasonable number of test cases.
– The input domain is small.
– It focuses on errors that is related with region faults.
– An array of values are used that represent variable factors that are combined pair-wise.
– The steps in OATS involve identifying, determining, finding, mapping, choosing, and transcribing.
– These arrays are two dimensional arrays of numbers.
– Pairwise values can be got by choosing any two columns in the array.
OATS provides a means to select a test set that:
– Guarantees testing the pair-wise combinations of all the selected variables.
– Creates an efficient and concise test set with many fewer test cases than testing all combinations
of all variables.
– Creates a test set that has an even distribution of all pair-wise combinations.
– Exercises some of the complex combinations of all the variables.
– Is simpler to generate and less error prone than test sets created by hand.
Why Use Orthogonal Array Testing?
– It lowers the number of test cases.
– It is useful for integration testing.
– It is useful for testing configurable options of an application.
– It improves productivity due to reduced test cycles and testing times.
– It makes an intelligent choice about test cases and avoids endless effort in executing tests that do not contribute in identifying defects.
What are disadvantages of orthogonal array testing?
– Array construction can be difficult.
– Orthogonal array testing techniques are not useful in situations where processes involving influencing factors that vary in time and cannot be quantified exactly.
– It can only be applied in initial stage of system.
What are the mistakes that should be avoided while using this strategy?
– Do not apply OATS manually.
– The testing effort should not be focused on the wrong area of the application.
– Avoid using OATS for high-risk applications.
– Avoid picking the wrong parameters to combine.