In this article we have discussed about two types of back end testing and front end testing in detail.
About Front End Testing
– Front end testing is concerned with testing the graphical user interface or GUI and functionality of the software system or applications.
– Front end testing is a way of verifying the functionality as well as usability of the software system or application.
– The verification of the data base, communication and interface is the task of the back end testing.
– A large part of the GUI testing and functional testing involves the front end testing.
– Front end testing involves testing the software system or application from the perspective of the user and consists of the following:
c) Graphical user interface
d) Verification and
– Front end testing involves determining how the application actually looks like.
– Functional testing however can be carried out from both the ends front end as well as the back end.
About Back End Testing
– It has been observed that back end testing refers to white box testing or simply low level testing.
– The back–end testing is focused up on the data that is stored in the data base.
– On the other hand, the back end testing has been developed exclusively for dealing with the back end testing and data bases.
– It basically involves testing of data while travelling either from the back end only or from front end to back end. This will become clearer from the example, suppose that you entered some data in the front end application and this data is stored in some data base. Then you need to determine whether the data is being stored correctly or not.
– The following activities are involve in the back end testing:
a) Testing the logical storage of the data
b) Validation of the stored data with the user interface
c) Checking the functionality of the data base
d) Verification of the data base functionality.
– Back end testing is all about determining how we can relate to the data that is stored in the data base.
More about Back End and Front End Testing
– There are certain complex software systems or applications such as telecom OSS which require separate teams to carry out testing on the various individual layers of the software system or application.
– A special team is constituted to carry out testing on all the layers is called the end to end team.
– Other teams are assigned the task of carrying out the testing on the layers below the first layer.
– Also the GUI commands such as add, update or delete are tested during the front end testing.
– In back end testing the stored procedure is executed and table records are updated.
– In one case it was tried to introduce the unit testing front end logic in a recent project.
– The code of the tests was not reviewed and so the tests were of poor quality and some of tests were not testing anything in actual.
– This indicates that there is a need to get people in to thinking that the front end tests are worth performing. usually what happens is that the a GUI front end is used by the software systems or applications for making the user – system interaction easier.
– The data that is entered at the front end of the software system or application is stored in the data base at the back end of the software system or application.
– It does not matter what data base it is whether oracle, mySQL, DB2, MSSQL and so on the data will always be organized in tables as individual records.
– The data bases are used to provide the support to the content of the page.
– Therefore, it becomes quite important as well as critical to check the back end i.e., the data base.
– Back end testing is all about ensuring that the data entered at the front end, is stored properly at the back end.