Wireless networks also have certain elements. In the telecommunications network, a number of elements called the wire-line network elements are present at the physical layer of the OSI model.
These network elements might be either of the following:
– Stand alone systems or
– Products supplied either assembled by the system integrator or the service provider taking parts from different manufacturers or products supplied by a single manufacturer.
These network elements are devices or products through which a wireless carrier can provide support for the following:
– MSC or mobile switching center and
– Back haul network
Which network elements are important?
– The reliability of a network service depends on the network elements present at the OSI model’s physical layer.
– Also, the protection and security of these services against all the operational applications and environments depends up on these elements.
– The network elements that lie on and between the cell tower and the base station cabinet or BSC are seen of as the most important ones.
– The antenna and the attachment hardware are the other additional things required, and they must have the following qualities:
- Adequate strength
- Corrosion resistance
- Rain resistance
- Solar resistance
- Resistance to other weather conditions
In addition to the above discussed things, the requirements of the individual components are as follows:
- Cable connectors
– Capacity is another important element of the wireless networks.
– This theorem is related to the noise in the channels and its bandwidth (in hertz).
– Another major wireless network element is the network bandwidth.
– The total bandwidth of a wireless network depends up on the extent to which the medium is dispersed.
– Dispersion and network bandwidth of the network vary in proportion to each other.
– This happens so because with more dispersion, the interference is reduced.
– Further, the total bandwidth of the network also depends up on the availability of the frequencies, their noise quotient.
– Other things that affect this network element are the directional antenna that is in use and whether power control is employed by the nodes or not.
– The devices or the mobile stations used are called the hosts and can be PDAs, laptops etc.
– These hosts run the network applications required for establishing a connection.
– Wireless links are also an element of the wireless network.
– They are used for making a connection between the mobile and the base station.
– These links also act as the backbone links.
– The link access is coordinated the same protocol that handles the mac.
– The data transmission rates may vary over different data links.
– An element of the wired network is the infrastructure mode.
– Mobile is connected to the wired network through the base station.
– Thus, ad hoc mode is the element of wireless networking.
– Here, there are no base stations and transmission is done by the nodes itself.
Challenges for Wireless Networks
– Wireless networks have gained popularity throughout the world.
– The number of cell phone users has outnumbered the number of land line phone users.
– Laptops are also a means of wireless communication.
– Wireless networks appear to be very appealing because of their convenience and fast access.
– Still two things offer a primary challenge to the wireless networks:
- Mobility: Users of the mobile phones keep changing their position with respect to the network.
- Establishing communication over a wireless link.