There is a myth that if the software is tested then it must be bug free but the reality is mentioned below.
– This is a very common myth which clients, project managers and the management team believe in.
– No one can say with absolute certainty that a software application is 100 percent bug free even if a tester with superb testing skills has tested the application.
– But after reading this you might be thinking with such super levels of knowledge regarding the software testing, the testers should not leave any bug in their software given proper testing method is followed and proper testing tools are used.
– It is not possible to have the software free of any errors.
– However, proper methods can be followed for testing to have the least number of possible bugs in your software.
– Testing can be improved by following a test-driven approach, automated testing, mutation testing.
– By-passers can be allowed for testing the software.
– Other practices that ensure that your software will have fewer bugs are:
One thing to be noted is that the software testing tools that we might use, themselves are dependent up on a lot of factors. An idle testing tool must have the following characteristics:
– The improper test team might consist of those people who do not have any knowledge of using the software.
– Another thing is that the distractions should be avoided. Even though a bug free code is impossible to be achieved, a majority of the bugs can be detected easily by carrying out unit testing.
– Unit testing makes sure that most of the bugs are rooted out in the earlier stages of the development itself.
– Starting with the test driven approach is good but just not enough.
The bug control can be improved effectively by the following:
– These things improve the quality of the software at the same time reducing the number of bugs.
– We can say that the achieving the bug free software is just our target which is never achieved actually.
– Saying this does not mean that the testers are not capable of doing so, it is just a realistic expectation of what our abilities are.
– There are a number of testing tools available for regression testing the software.
– The test cases in regression testing is automated and are frequently run for assuring that changes made in one part of the software are not hampering the other part of the software.
– But as mentioned above this does not provides a total solution.
– Also, for making the software as free of bugs as possible requires large amount of investment.
– Most projects make use of the zero – defect milestone which insists on doing testing up to an agreed level.
– This lets you build up your confidence concerning the bugs that might be present in your software.
– Some of these bugs might be fixed up.
– Things such as the amount of testing to be done and bugs that are acceptable are decided in advance.
– However, this technique is implemented very rarely in the projects.
– A review culture can help if there are design problems.
– Also, a defect log must be maintained to know the frequency of the errors.